AFL 2024: Tarryn Thomas charged by police for alleged harassment of his former partner, will he play AFL again, calls and messages to her, details, axed by North Melbourne, latest news

URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL

Former North Melbourne player Tarryn Thomas will not be permitted to rejoin an AFL list pending his latest charges for alleged harassment of his former partner and breaching a court order.

Thomas has been under police investigation after the Herald Sun earlier this month reported fresh claims the 23-year-old had been making more calls to his former partner, after being axed by the Kangaroos in February.

Watch every game of every round this Toyota AFL Premiership Season LIVE with no ad-breaks during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today >

Following those claims, amid continued attempts to help Thomas by North Melbourne, he had his contract terminated and was suspended for 18 matches after being found guilty of “several breaches” of the AFL’s code of conduct.

Victoria Police said in a statement: “Police have charged a 24-year-old Ormond man in relation to reports of alleged harassing phone calls. Police executed a search warrant at a premises in Ormond on Tuesday 21 May about 11.15am.

“The man was arrested and charged with use telecommunications service to harass and breaching a court order. He was bailed to the Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court on 21 November.”

In a statement on Tuesday, the AFL said it will “specifically not permit Mr Thomas to join the list of any AFL Club pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

“More broadly, it is the AFL’s intent that Mr Thomas will not be approved to play at any level of Australian Football pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

“The AFL will continue to monitor the police proceedings.”

Essendon coach Brad Scott spoke out in support of his former player in recent months.

“As an industry, do we just wash our hands and say we’re done with him? Or do we help him? I’d prefer to sit in the help camp,” Scott said.

“I’ve known Tarryn since he was 14 and my view is he’s a good person. Has he made some terrible mistakes? Yes he has, and he’s the first to admit that.”

In addition to the alleged calls to Thomas’ former partner, the Herald Sun revealed disturbing messages he sent to the same woman social media in February.

“And for them girls I abuse I would do again,” Thomas wrote to the woman.

“After what they did to me if you do me wrong I will let you have it.”

Thomas is ineligible to play football at any level from July 22, with a return subject to compliance from the AFL of him improving his behaviour.

It was revealed earlier this month North chief executive Jennifer Watt had informed rival clubs that Thomas wasn’t able to change his ways via an eye-opening email.

Originally published as Tarryn Thomas faces permanent AFL exile after fresh charges over behaviour against women

Read related topics:Melbourne

Leave a Comment